Uber Insurance in Vermont
What is Uber insurance?
Driving for platforms like Uber usually requires more protection than what basic personal auto insurance affords. Vermont drivers who are on the platform should generally consider purchasing some type Uber insurance.
Uber insurance is specialized auto insurance for Uber drivers. Coverage solutions normally provide multiple coverages, and sometimes extend to other platforms such as Lyft.
Who in Vermont needs Uber coverage?
Most drivers in Vermont need specialized coverage whenever they’re driving for Uber. A personal auto policy generally won’t protect when driving for a rideshare app.
Does Uber offer drivers its own insurance?
Uber normally does provide drivers with certain insurance coverages free of charge. The amount of coverage changes depending on what a driver is doing:
- Offline: When a driver is offline or the driver app is turned off, usually no Uber-provided insurance applies. A driver must have their own insurance during this time.
- En-Route: When a driver is en-route to pick up drivers or delivery orders, Uber normally provides bodily injury coverage ($50,000/person and $100,000/accident) and property damage liability coverage ($25,000/accident).
- Active Trips: When a driver is actively driving passengers or delivering an order, the aforementioned coverages normally apply. So does third-party liability coverage ($1 million), and contingent collision and comprehensive coverage (with a $2,500 deductible).
While these coverages are certainly helpful, they’re fixed and not necessarily sufficient for all drivers. For instance, drivers may want more bodily injury or property damage liability coverage. They also may need additional protections, and might choose a lower comprehensive/collision deductible.
How can drivers get additional insurance when driving for Uber?
Drivers often have a couple of ways that they can purchase additional insurance that covers their rideshare driving.
First, some personal auto insurance policies have an endorsement. This is an add-on protection that provides specifically defined coverages. The coverages are normally fixed, but they’re often substantially more than what Uber provides.
Second, rideshare insurance that covers Uber driving can be purchased. These policies tend to have more flexible coverage, limits and deductible options.
An insurance agent who specializes in Uber coverage can help drivers evaluate the app’s provided coverages, and explore other coverage options that could be complementary.
What coverages should Uber drivers consider when evaluating insurance options?
There are many coverages to consider when evaluating auto insurance, especially when driving for any rideshare app. Some important protections include:
- Comprehensive Coverage, which normally protects against vehicle damage that involves only the insured vehicle
- Collision Coverage, which normally protects against insured vehicle damage that involves accidents with other cars
- Property Damage Liability Coverage, which normally protects against damage to other vehicles, others' property and riders' property
- Personal Injury Protection, which normally protects the driver and their passengers against injuries
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage, which normally protects against injuries to people in other cars and pedestrians
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage, which normally protects against accidents with uninsured drivers
- Rental Car Reimbursement Coverage, which normally pays for a rental car if the insured vehicle is damaged in a covered incident
How much does purchasing additional insurance for Uber driving cost?
The premiums charged for rideshare endorsements and policies tend to be affordable, even if driving for Uber just part-time. An independent agent can help drivers compare rates from different insurance companies to see exactly how much coverage will cost in a particular situation.
How can drivers in Vermont get additional Uber insurance?
If you need additional insurance for Uber driving and are located in Vermont, contact the independent insurance agents at T.S. Peck Insurance. Our agents can help you review the included Uber insurance coverages, and assess any additional coverage needs you might have. They can certainly assist with finding an endorsement or additional policy if you need one.