Dump Truck Insurance in Vermont
What is Dump Truck Insurance?
Dump trucks tend to be specialized vehicles that generally require a special commercial truck insurance policy. Dump truck insurance is designed to help protect Vermont businesses that have and operate dump trucks from lots of the risks that using these trucks presents.
Dump truck insurance policies are generally written as package policies that include several coverages within them. Insurance companies consider where dump trucks are driven and how they’re used when underwriting the coverages included in these policies, and businesses can usually adjust coverages to suit their particular situation.
What Coverages Are Included in Dump Truck Policies?
As mentioned, dump truck policies normally include a number of dump truck liability insurance and other coverages within them. Some commonly offered coverages include:
- General Liability Coverage, which might protect against lawsuits arising from common accidents and a few other risks
- Collision Coverage, which might protect a dump truck itself from damage sustained in an accident involving multiple vehicles
- Physical Damage Coverage, which might protect a dump truck from damage sustained in other incidents
- Downtime Coverage, which might protect a dump truck when it’s not in use
- Environmental Coverage, which might protect against fines and cleanup costs of environmental contamination by fuel and/or cargo
- Motor Truck Cargo Coverage, which might protect cargo that a truck is hauling (Motor Truck Cargo Coverage is also known as Freight Coverage)
In addition to these protections, owner/operators who drive their trucks during non-working hours may also need non-trucking coverage. Non-trucking coverage normally protects against accidents that could occur when a truck is being driven for reasons that aren’t directly work-related. For example, driving home might fall under this coverage’s protections Such situations are generally more common with other types of commercial trucks, but occasionally they arise with dump trucks.
Because each coverage that a dump truck policy offers provides a specific set of protections, coverages should be individually considered with care. An insurance agent who specializes in dump truck liability insurance can assist with coverage selection.
Do Dump Truck Operators Really Need Freight Coverage?
Even though dump trucks normally don’t transport high-value goods, including motor truck cargo or freight coverage in a dump truck policy is generally wise. Large loads of gravel, dirt, sand and other materials can have substantial value when the entire load is taken into account, and this coverage is usually the most effective way to insure loads like these.
What Vermont Businesses Should Have a Dump Truck Policy?
Most businesses that own and operate dump trucks should have this type of insurance in place. This includes owner/operators, contractors, quarries and many other businesses that have these trucks. Even though Vermont state law might allow companies to insure dump trucks with standard commercial truck policies, ones that are specifically designed for dump trucks typically offer better protection for these vehicles.
How Much Do Dump Truck Policies Cost?
Insurance companies consider many factors when setting premiums for dump truck policies. Some items that may influence a policy’s cost include:
- What year, make and model a dump truck is
- Where a dump truck is stored when not in use
- Where a dump truck is driven when in use
- How many miles a dump truck is driven annually
- What dump truck liability insurance coverages and limits are chosen
The most accurate way to find out how much insuring a particular dump truck will cost is to compare quotes with the assistance of an independent insurance agent. Independent agents are able to request quotes from multiple insurers, which makes seeing how much different companies will charge for a certain set of coverages easy.
How Can Vermont Businesses Get Dump Truck Insurance?
For help insuring a dump truck that’s used in Vermont, contact the independent insurance agents at T.S. Peck Insurance. Our team has helped many companies properly insure their dump trucks, and we’re ready to assist you with finding a robust dump truck insurance policy for your business’ vehicles.