For most people, motorcycling is a hobby that allows them to have fun and relieve stress. Unsurprisingly, insurance coverage is the often the last thing many Saint Albans motorcycle riders want to think about. To keep things simple and inexpensive, you may feel tempted to go with the cheapest insurance coverage you can find. While such a decision may seem ideal for your wallet at first, you may find yourself in quite a bit of trouble in the long run. This brief guide will help you determine how much motorcycle insurance is enough for your needs.
How Much Motorcycle Insurance is Enough for Saint Albans Drivers?
When it comes to motorcycle insurance coverage in Saint Albans, you want to ensure you meet minimum liability insurance requirements. Once you meet these requirements, you can go from there to determine how much coverage is ideal for your needs. Liability insurance requirements for motorcycles differ from state to state.
Vermont Insurance Requirements for Motorcycles
In Vermont, motorcycle drivers need both liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Your liability insurance for motorcycles must meet or exceed these minimum requirements.
- $25,000 for the injury or death of one person in an accident.
- $50,000 for total injury or death if more than one person is hurt in the accident.
- $10,000 to cover property damage.
The minimum limits per accident for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in Vermont are as follows:
- $50,000 to cover the costs of injury of one person.
- $100,000 to cover the total costs of injury or death of more than one person.
What optional motorcycle insurance coverage is available for drivers in Saint Albans?
While motorcycle drivers in Vermont are only required to have liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you should purchase additional coverage to help protect you and your assets in the event of an accident. If you don't have enough money in your savings account to cover the cost of the average motorcycle accident, you need all the coverage you can get.
According to a report published by the Government Accountability Office, non-fatal motorcycle crashes cost anywhere from $2,500 to $1.4 million. The average fatal motorcycle crash costs $1.2 million. Without a doubt, the vast majority of motorcycle riders don't have anywhere near that type of cash on hand. When shopping for insurance, motorcycle drivers should look for the following coverage:
- Collision - This coverage will help pay for damage to your motorcycle that results from accidents.
- Comprehensive - Traffic accidents are far from being the only cause of damage to motorcycles. Comprehensive coverage will help pay for damage to your motorcycle not caused by accidents on the road.
- Medical Payments - This coverage will help cover medical costs for injuries after a traffic accident.
- Towing and Labor - This coverage will help pay for towing and labor costs.
Why You May Need More Insurance Coverage
Drivers often need more coverage because they purchased their motorcycle used rather than new. Used motorcycles tend to require more repairs and break down on the road more frequently. Therefore, if you bought a used motorcycle, you may want to get motorcycle roadside assistance. This coverage will help cover costs related to the towing and repairs. If you've experienced issues with your motorcycle before even though you purchased it new, this is also a sign you may need more insurance coverage.
While you may consider motorcycle riding to be a fun hobby, you still need sufficient coverage to meet state laws and to help ensure peace of mind. For more information about motorcycle insurance in Saint Albans, don't hesitate to contact us and ask for a little friendly guidance.
This material is for informational purposes only. All statements herein are subject to the provision, exclusions and conditions of the applicable policy. For an actual description of all coverages, terms and conditions, refer to the insurance policy.
How Can We Help?
Subscribe to Email Updates
- Vermont Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Car Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Personal Insurance
- Business Owners Policy
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Contractors Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- South Burlington
- South Burlington, VT
- Waterbury, VT
- Charlotte, VT
- Cyber Insurance
- Directors and Officers Insurance
- High Value Home Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Restaurant Insurance
- Richmond, VT
- Small Business Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Burlington, VT
- Commercial Package Policy
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Commercial Umbrella Insurance
- Condo Association Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance
- Inland Marine Insurance
- Landlord Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Media Liability Protection
- Microbrewery Insurance
- Personal Umbrella Insurance
- Personal Umbrella Policy
- Saint Albans
- Saint Albans, VT
- Snow Plowing Insurance
- Watercraft Insurance